Camera Shoulder Bags compared: Peak Design, Lowepro, Vanguard, Think Tank, Manfrotto & Wotancraft

We compare camera shoulder bags from several manufacturers, some of them requested by you! Peak Design, Lowepro, Vanguard, Think Tank, Manfrotto & Wotancraft. Find out which camera shoulder bags liked most and why.

Watch our camera backpack comparison here:

0:00 – Jordan’s old bag
19:00 – Manfrotto features and handling
19:50 – Weather resistance
22:41 – Jordan’s pick
23:39 – Chris’ pick

Music provided by BeatSuite.com

———————–
DPReview.com is the world’s largest digital camera review website. Welcome to our YouTube channel! Subscribe for new feature videos, reviews, interviews and more.

Discover the world’s most in-depth digital camera reviews at http://www.dpreview.com

50 Comments

1. Sciamachy Standard on October 13, 2021 at 9:04 am

I just want too see someone review the manfrotto befree sling

2. Hamish Davidson on October 13, 2021 at 9:05 am

不不不不 On camera mike used to record camera sounds. Totally paralysed me with laughter for 4 minutes不不不不不不

3. Scott Tice on October 13, 2021 at 9:09 am

You missed Tenba DNA messengers. Bummer.

4. Ronan Delaney on October 13, 2021 at 9:10 am

Security might have been covered a little. LowePro’s brand is very well known as specifically camera-geared (see what I did there) and the bag screams "steal me" unfortunately. Sneaky hands is usually more a backpack issue than shoulder bag but the loud velcro on my Retrospective 30 is a feature in that respect, and it’s great that it then can be silenced for shooting at a wedding or other quiet situation.

All that aside, filling any of these bags fully and carrying the weight all day on one shoulder can be a serious pain short term and cause an injury long term so people should keep that in mind, especially with larger bags. My Retrospective is mostly a "car bag" for the cameras. The camera then stays on the shoulder, with the additional gear and options I need in a backpack for a shootday.

5. Tooki on October 13, 2021 at 9:12 am

Could the Wotancraft Pilot 10L fit that 15in laptop? Their site says it fits a Macbook Pro 13", but it looks like it has a fair bit of extra room, and the dimensions of the laptop divider are much larger than a 13" Macbook..

6. slaphead55 on October 13, 2021 at 9:13 am

A machete? No need for that in the UK as you could be looking at a couple of years at Her Majestys Pleasure if caught carrying it in public . LOL . Nice review though. I just ordered the Vanguard incidentally based in this review. Seems just what I need. Thanks

7. John Matthews on October 13, 2021 at 9:14 am

Ahahaha that doodle pro drop.

8. The Faustian Man on October 13, 2021 at 9:15 am

I fucking hate PeakDesign. Lowe Pro all day!!!

9. Oliver Pattison on October 13, 2021 at 9:16 am

If I wanted to put a jacket through there, a sweater 色 or maybe a second machete?

10. Gerald McMullon on October 13, 2021 at 9:16 am

At this size of bag (10 litres and up) the gear carried is really too much for a shoulder strap. A traditional old 35mm film SLR camera bag holds everything I want to carry but was not designed to carry a tablet device or mobile phone so lacks padding in the side pockets. Besides the 3, 6, and 10 litre Peak Design I considered Moment Rugged sling, Instinct Camera Pro Sling. the Bug-out bag (reduced to half in recent months from Salvatore the Store; carries a studio full of gear), Alpaka Go Camera sling.

The fit and shape not measured volume determine what can be stuffed in.

The Instinct Camera Pro Sling has two small side pockets for water bottle and straps for a tripod. At 7.5 litres the stiff dividers made access to pockets harder than other bags and slings. The top tapers to a narrower base more sharply than the Peak Design and you need to carry less as you can’t take up all corners.

The Alpaka Go Camera Sling is smaller but works for the same carry but no external water bottle pouch or tripod carry straps. Has D rings that can be used with your own straps. It ought to carry a lot less but other than the water bottle fitted the same amount. Not all slings have padding towards the body. Shoulder bags don’t have padding for carry even if the gear is nicely protected. Carry a Joby Gorilla pod or odd shaped flash or even the edge of a lens sticks into body and with movement of walking prods you with each step.

Although the camera bags all had the Velcro dividers I removed them as they took up too much space and are inflexible making it then harder to access the small pockets.

With all of these kit bags they work best if you don’t over fill them. Camera plus longer zoom, or camera with small lens and 8" tablet with keyboard still has room for every day carry items mobile phone, pocket tool, mask, sanitizer etc. Even then, after trekking all day carrying 4-5kg over one shoulder it became uncomfortable.

A small 10 litre back pack holds double and having two straps with less strain.

11. Eero Huhtamo on October 13, 2021 at 9:16 am

You could just buy any regular shoulder bag that is right size and get some padded camera inserts from ebay. No need to limit your self to just camera bag manufacturers. Backpacks are little bit different so I maybe wouldn’t try the same.

12. Grant Blankenship on October 13, 2021 at 9:19 am

Domke F2?

13. David Allison on October 13, 2021 at 9:19 am

You guys should look at Billingham bags, a bit expensive, but beautifully made. I think there are a few distributers in Canada.

14. Eric Johnston on October 13, 2021 at 9:21 am

I use bags for storing gear. I start shooting I’m wearing a lowepro gear vest and lowepro cases and cotton carrier chest and belt holsters. I want my gear close at hand. No digging through a bag.

15. You Don't Want To Know on October 13, 2021 at 9:21 am

Ape case. You should review Ape case camera bags. Bought one a LONG time ago. The 1200.

16. Gary Martin on October 13, 2021 at 9:25 am

LOL on your "small" kit, my shoulder hurts just watching this video!

17. Gerry Verscheure on October 13, 2021 at 9:26 am

Are Wotancraft available in Canada? From what I can see Id have to order direct from their website.

18. tj on October 13, 2021 at 9:29 am

The problem with these designs is that they are visibly for camera gear and it gets you mugged.

19. Orbmiser on October 13, 2021 at 9:30 am

I went thru the slingbag options 6 months ago. And considered many of the bags shown. But one of my criteria was fitting a D500 with 70-200 f2.8 & zoom like my Tamron 100-400 G2 with lens hoods attached laid horizontally no fuss ready to grab and shoot. As can grab complete setup ready to grab and go in 2 seconds. Many of these newer bags failed for that need.

Ended up with a Think Tank Sling-O-Matic 20L that was $140 and discontinued. But found slightly used for $70. Can change sling configuration quickly to left or right shoulder. Sliding off shoulder to waist open compartment nice steady platform for changing lens. Or pulling out the D500 beast with f2.8 zoom lens ready to shoot. Which fits nicely horizontally. The problem for me with backpacks is the delay from getting to gear and lengthy process of swapping out lens,etc… Messenger bags was what I used for years but found their limitations also annoying. Found most sling bags to small for my needs. But the Sling-O-matic perfect blend of size and function for fiddle free fast shooting when needed.

20. Timothy Linn on October 13, 2021 at 9:34 am

Three thoughts:
    1. Think Tank’s Urban Disguise series was great. I also hate that they discontinued it.
    2. Think Tank’s Retrospective series seems to have replaced it. Most people seem to love the Retrospective bags. I think they’re hideous.
    3. Wotancraft’s shoulder bags are just awesome. I own two different sizes in the Trooper series. I’ve never owned a bag I’ve liked better.

21. Edwin Rosario on October 13, 2021 at 9:34 am

Machete – you kill me.

22. Luke13 on October 13, 2021 at 9:39 am

I would appreciate a list of the specific bag models in the description

23. Mr. L on October 13, 2021 at 9:40 am

Bags are a highly personal choice like cameras. There are always pros and cons. There are two bags that, in my opinion, are the best ever, but unfortunately Vanguard and Lowepro had a lapse in judgment and discontinued them. Both of them are easy to carry and hug your body without sticking out and banging against everything. They also have top zippers instead of the annoying opening flaps like these do. One is the Vanguard Havana 36. You can still find it new in some stores if you hurry. The other is the Lowepro Streamline 150/250. The Vanguard Havana 36 also has nice pockets on both sides for lenses OR water bottles. The Lowepro Streamline was featured by Derrick Story called the bag I use 90% of the time.

24. Brandon Elliot on October 13, 2021 at 9:40 am

Have you guys tried the new Tenba Messenger 16/16 Pro bags?

25. James Williams on October 13, 2021 at 9:40 am

Great content but no Billingham I’m not angry with you, but I am disappointed. I thought you guys were cool.

26. Umberto Amante on October 13, 2021 at 9:40 am

As a Cleveland, OH resident, I know you always have to wear gloves in Canada! LOL

27. Joshua Conti on October 13, 2021 at 9:43 am

This is how to review bags! Love seeing everyday loadouts be loaded in and how it actually works out vs. just numbers on stat sheets- highlights why Im not a massive fan of peak design. Two bags I currently rely on are the Promaster Cityscape series backpacks and slings and Tenba DNA/ Tenba Shootout series if you should ever get your hands on them for the next bag reviews.

28. Adi Adi on October 13, 2021 at 9:43 am

3:35 your socks different between left & right. Is it manufactured on purpose?

29. Dada Sese on October 13, 2021 at 9:44 am

Chris, you are the best, as always! Without you this channel is dead.

30. Alexander Stehle on October 13, 2021 at 9:46 am

Nice glas table!

31. jeanie on October 13, 2021 at 9:46 am

Love the bags in this video but I wish there were more varieties for women who want a cute looking camera backpack or shoulder bags that don’t scream "I got a camera with me"

32. S L on October 13, 2021 at 9:46 am

The lack of proper machete compartments on most of these bags is a deal breaker for me.

33. Skip Horni, W5UTW on October 13, 2021 at 9:47 am

If the top of the bag does not have a handle, it is a no-go. You can’t always use a shoulder strap.

34. Bill J on October 13, 2021 at 9:47 am

The small bags don’t seem to be that small, maybe the added thickness for a tablet makes the difference. For traveling light I still use an old Tamrac Velocity 3. On one of my last trips it held D750, Tamron 24-70 f2.8, Nikon 18-35 and Sigma 100-400, but no tablet or computer. It is significantly trimmer than the small bags you are showing, or maybe just more efficient. The larger bags have room for other stuff such as drones but I would like to have a larger bag that will carry the lenses mentioned above but with 2 bodies instead of 1. I have a LowePro that barely does it, it needs to be a little bit larger.

35. Victor Basa on October 13, 2021 at 9:48 am

Where is Billingham???

36. JK Lockwood on October 13, 2021 at 9:49 am

What Manfrotto bag does Chris LOVE (3:17)? The one with the "really gaudy interior" and Timbuk2 exterior?

37. itai on October 13, 2021 at 9:51 am

Great video! I have a Think Tank 20 bag, and its very hard/impossible to get something in or out of this fabric, squishy, cool looking, side camera bags. In reality, you have to stop what you’re doing, get it off your shoulder, and extract the, say, lens you need, etc etc.

38. Roy Phelps on October 13, 2021 at 9:52 am

L.A.P.G. jumbo bug out bag , in your favorite color, beats everything you’ve shown ! For my use

39. sotitofanschop on October 13, 2021 at 9:54 am

Great video. Domke still my pick.

40. Aram Hvrneanu on October 13, 2021 at 9:55 am

Domke F-2 for life.

41. Odd One Out on October 13, 2021 at 9:55 am

I am on the fence also for a new shoulder bag and really cannot make up my mind rn. For bigger jobs I love (LOVE) my old-but-still-in-excellent-condition Tamrac Pro12. The lovely thing is: it fits everything bar the kitchen sink. The downside is: it fits everything bar the kitchen sink, which may or may not have resulted in me WAY overpacking for what I was doing. So something a little smaller is called for. This video gave me a few more ideas, so thanks a bunch!

42. Winston Llamas on October 13, 2021 at 9:55 am

I never expected a bag review to contain the phrase "like an old burlap sack in the Great War", but when you think about it, that’s what the Think Tank Retrospective looks like. In fairness, though, the Retrospective is a nice bag, though a little heavy (at least the Version 1 model that I have). I like Think Tank products, but it’s nice to have a real world and real look view of these bags. Thanks Chris and Jordan! You are entertaining and informative. Great work as always.

43. We Play Wax on October 13, 2021 at 9:56 am

And yet another channel that completely ignores Tenba. Sigh…

44. Randeezy on October 13, 2021 at 9:56 am

Anyone looking for a durable shoulder camera bag that doesn’t scream CAMERA BAG, yet can double as a great EDC bag / business bag, take a look at the Gura Gear Chobe 2.0. Normally I’m a think Tank fanboy, especially with the discontinued Urban Disguise series — Think tank makes excellent bags. However, the Gura Gear Chobe’s look like it might be a great Urban Disguise alternative. Only 2 sizes though.

45. Rick Smith on October 13, 2021 at 9:57 am

Great review. However, I am a fan of the "old school" camera bags – the Crumpler brand of canvas bags. I generally buy them used online for less than $40 and I now have several of various sizes (6 Million dollar bag, 7 Million Dollar Bag, etc.). Yep, I go cheap on used quality bags – so I can use the $$ that I saved for buying camera and lenses.

46. forgewire on October 13, 2021 at 9:57 am

Amazon Basics would beat them all

47. Sciamachy Standard on October 13, 2021 at 9:57 am

Yall shouldve used the Manfrotto bumble m10 or m30 instead. That is one heck of a messenger bag

48. Troy SentAmessage on October 13, 2021 at 9:58 am

At those prices why not buy a real bag "portabrace"? That expensive china made stuff looks so cheaply made.

49. EDHblvd on October 13, 2021 at 9:59 am

Thats not a machete, thats a Kukri.

50. Pema Tamang on October 13, 2021 at 10:01 am