5 Wildlife Photography Hacks for Great Shots on Budget Gear!

5 Wildlife Photography Hacks for Great Shots on Budget Gear!

Stop whining about not having all the latest, greatest toys and learn to use what you have to it’s fullest! In this video I go over how I create images using a cheese sandwich. I hope it inspires you to get out there and shoot no matter what you have!

My Insta: @Overland_Exposures
Check out their Instagram pages here:
@john.raptosh
@joelcbrown
@bayou_josh
@hunt.the.light

Main Camera: Canon EOS R
Lens’s: Sigma 150-600mm S, RF 70-200mm f2.8, RF 15-35mm f2.8
Drone: Mavic Air w/polar pro ND filters

42 Comments

1. redcivic927 on October 11, 2021 at 9:33 am

Your struggles are my struggles 😂 I have a faster backup but the one I have been choosing to stick to lately could be considered a moldy cheese sandwich lol the RP! 😂 but like you said patience is the key part! Lots of it. Pair it with a 150-600 and it gets pretty interesting lol

2. Ben Delves on October 11, 2021 at 9:34 am

great content, have subscribed

3. Jiffi Joff on October 11, 2021 at 9:36 am

Really funny and great to watch and listen to. New subber here. Looking forward to your mixture of photography and overlanding. 👍🍻
    Btw, MicroFourThird shooter here… Even that does the job 📷

4. T C on October 11, 2021 at 9:36 am

I would be interest to know how much editing was done on the picture using the more expensive equipment.

5. sameer bhatt on October 11, 2021 at 9:36 am

Rightly said. There is no “best camera or best lens” . Its how we get the best out of what we have. Gears are only tools to our capability to make best use of them.

6. Christian Baker on October 11, 2021 at 9:37 am

If your cameras a cheese sandwich then mines a piece of bread

7. dad_of_4girls on October 11, 2021 at 9:38 am

I have the Canon r6 and my biggest lens is a very used tamron 70-200 2.8. The best I can get with that lens is hummingbirds. They animal eye af is awesome I must say. But I need a bigger Focal Length for wildlife. But the camera does amazing.

8. Mike Baker on October 11, 2021 at 9:44 am

Dude, $3000? I could only dream of that. 7d Classic and Canon 75-300 f/4.5-5.6. And ain’t getting any better anytime soon.
    Not the gear anyway, though. Good video, thanks.

9. Freddie Slaughter on October 11, 2021 at 9:46 am

You like using that pen instead of a mouse? What is a good pen?

10. marvin cordova on October 11, 2021 at 9:47 am

I got a cheese sandwich and have taken beautiful pictures. LOL

11. Joseph Putnam on October 11, 2021 at 9:49 am

Wow! Great video. Learned a lot! Thanks.

12. Overland Pacific Northwest on October 11, 2021 at 9:49 am

Fantastic video ! Very nice "cheese sandwich" shots! Great composition and editing on them. One of the best photography videos I’ve seen in a long time!

13. Allan Fenning on October 11, 2021 at 9:50 am

good helpful video, great delivery and well explained. Thanks

14. Joshua Carrasquillo on October 11, 2021 at 9:54 am

I have a Nikon D3500, do u have any other tips for younger people. im 14, so
    i dont have the ability to go out whenever i want, how early or late i want. but i have a 15-55mm and a 70-300mm lens.

15. Tim Collingwood on October 11, 2021 at 9:58 am

Hi excellent advice thanks for sharing Best Regards Tim

16. Mohan Dass on October 11, 2021 at 9:59 am

So much costly lens u will get good photos but about others

17. szogi peter on October 11, 2021 at 9:59 am

Nice video! Hard to find, a good video, about gear, and photo philosophy.
    Good job!

18. Wildlife with Ghadi on October 11, 2021 at 10:00 am

if you describe your camera as a cheese sandwich, then I can describe mine as some moldy leftover toast 😂

19. Stuart Buckminster on October 11, 2021 at 10:00 am

Stumbled across your channel 👍 🔔 < subscribed and followed on Instagram. From UK 🇬🇧

20. Philip Wächter on October 11, 2021 at 10:01 am

I bought a second hand Nikon D850 last year and use the Sigma 60-600mm. Also bought the 1.4x TC, but rarely use it because the image looks way softer and less sharp with the TC aswell.
    If i would get a chance to get a hold of the Nikon 600mm f4 for a good price i would get it. But for now really happy with the gear i’ve got and still got to learn so much with this gear.

21. John Bernal on October 11, 2021 at 10:05 am

Thank you, this is good advice specially for people in third world countries like me were all photo gear can be five or six times more expensive to buy compared to first world citizens.

22. Outdoorsman Outfitters on October 11, 2021 at 10:05 am

Me watching this with my best camera being an my eos t7i

23. Sujeet Deshpande on October 11, 2021 at 10:06 am

Nice presentation. One other difference between pros and normal people is creating stunning compositions and ability to choose camera features appropriate for the situation.

24. Justin Weeks on October 11, 2021 at 10:07 am

Depth of field is so telling

25. Professional Potato on October 11, 2021 at 10:07 am

I have a baked potato hahaha. It’s an XT4, but I do not have any "pro" telephoto lenses D: Why must photos and videos be such an expensive career/hobby.
    I do have a Canon telephoto kit lens, which works fine for slow stuff, but isn’t the fastest focusing lens, especially via adapters. Then again I live in the city and question my wants for an expensive credit card debt when all I get are pigeons and sparrows.

26. uilton dias on October 11, 2021 at 10:11 am

The best video I have seen about photography keek up the good work 👍🏻👏👏👏

27. Bernhard Koster on October 11, 2021 at 10:11 am

I have to disagree on one point. Patience is only the second important bit when shooting wildlife. Know your subjects and how they behave. Who knows that most birds poop before they fly? You can use this for timing to catch the bird in flight rather than on a branch in a tree. You don’t need 20+ pfs if you know your subjects but all the rest is pretty much spot on.
    Being a disabled wildlife photographer brings its own set of challenges on top as I can’t just walk wherever I want so I have to plan ahead for pretty much every shoot and where on my mobility scooter to put my equipment so that I can take shots without having to get to my rear top-box etc.
    I just managed to get myself a Canon D1 Mark 4 after 45 years of Pentax and the first thing I did was to blackened the white Canon writing on the camera. This makes quite a bit of a difference as there is less reflection when rising the camera. For lenses one can get camo sleeves but you can’t get that for a camera (or at least I have never seen one so far).
    Anyway, great video and very useful tips. Now subscribed 👍

28. peterviragphoto on October 11, 2021 at 10:15 am

Great job! Lovely shots!

29. nncat on October 11, 2021 at 10:16 am

Good painting. 🙂

30. Dom Gatto Photography on October 11, 2021 at 10:16 am

Hey there. Fellow wildlife photographer slumming it at f/6.3 with a Tamron 150-600 G2. Your process is EXACTLY what I do with my photographs to compensate for lack of fast glass. Nice job.

31. Andy C on October 11, 2021 at 10:17 am

I’d take this video a little more seriously if it wasn’t for the fact your gear list is worth nearly £9000….and that’s just the stuff you list, I’m sure if you add bags a tripod, Gimbal etc you’re over £10-11k.

32. Randal Davis on October 11, 2021 at 10:19 am

The Mr. Belvedere reference just got you a subscriber!

33. Eric Woody on October 11, 2021 at 10:19 am

Iam an awesome wildlife photographer. My Nikon z6 only shoots five frames per second but I still get great wildlife action shots. I just wish it would focus faster.

34. Myeloman on October 11, 2021 at 10:19 am

Coming from someone shooting wildlife with a potato, I’m jealous of your cheese sammich (and honestly had no clue Prime Rib equipment was so salty…😬🥺). I’m using a Canon 70D and just picked up a used 70-200 f4, previously using a 55-250 f2.8 (I think), editing is done with the native apple photo software though a friend has recently gotten into photoshop and edits my photos for free so he can practice (having friends is cool). I’ve had the camera for several years but only recently really started getting serious, so I really appreciate the “middle of the road” perspective as most people seem to forget not everyone has a Prime Rib.

Keep up the great work, someday maybe we’ll enjoy some Prime Rib! 😎

35. Max's View on October 11, 2021 at 10:20 am

How do you not have more subscribers??
    This was a great video and well thought out. I just put out my Alaskan bear video where I photographed Kodiak Brown Bears. And I used a ton of these tips as well. Including getting in the river to separate my subject from the backgrounds.

I look forward to seeing more videos from you.

36. Wildlife with Ghadi on October 11, 2021 at 10:20 am

you’re making me laugh… complaining about your decent gear while I’m here stuck with my Canon T7 because I can’t afford anything else… oh well, sooner or later I’m going to get an upgrade.

37. North Texas Photo Journal on October 11, 2021 at 10:21 am

hey man. i LOVE CHEESE SANDWITCHES LOL and prime rib suck lol.But i use a Sony a6600 with the Sigma 150-600mm. pretty good setup. not a prime rib but it works. anyway, awesome video man. keep em coming.

38. Manish Nandish on October 11, 2021 at 10:21 am

Why Elon musk is into photography now!!

39. NIGHTMARE ACCOMPLICE on October 11, 2021 at 10:22 am

Nice video!!!! Had me hooked!

40. Lohi Karhu on October 11, 2021 at 10:23 am

I don’t know…seems to me that knowing the animal’s behaviour, and being capable of understanding when to capture a peak moment, that’s worth something that 20 fps may not manage (you got there ..at 9:40)…20 or xx fps is simply a substitute, albeit a real help. Ah, but that’s just the fuddy-duddy "old school" in me 😉
    Kind of like the whinging about battery life, when we used to have to carry 10x as much volume in film, not so long ago, and a battery change is much easier, and faster, than changing film, no?

41. Ruiloba on October 11, 2021 at 10:27 am

Sell your R and buy an R5 . I have done an thats the best you can do with the R talking about wildlife

42. James Olbrisch on October 11, 2021 at 10:30 am

Funny, I started following you because of the detecting, I’ve been into photography and overlanding for years now… love it.