10 Ways To Instantly Improve Your Wildlife Photography

10 Ways To Instantly Improve Your Wildlife Photography

In this video, I’ll share ten compositional and artistic techniques used by the pros that you can instantly use to create better photos than ever before.

The truth is, while things like new gear and technology are nice, when it comes to creating truly great images those considerations take a distant back seat to the kind of time-test field techniques you’ll discover in this video.

So hit play and get ready to catapult your images to another level.

Did you miss the first video? See it here:

Website / Newsletter Signup:

Backcountry Gallery Nature Photography Forums:

Books / Video Workshops:

Master Index Of All My Videos / Articles:

The BCG College Of Photo Education πŸ™‚

Follow me on Instagram:

Have nature and wildlife photography questions? Check out the BCG Forums! Ask and answer gear and technique questions questions, post photos and more. Check it out and sign up today!

50 Comments

1. Cesar M on December 3, 2021 at 1:42 pm

Great tips

2. Matthew Wells on December 3, 2021 at 1:43 pm

Someday, when the stars align or the bank makes a horrible, tragic mistake in my favor, I’m going to Costa Rica or Africa with you on a workshop.

3. David B on December 3, 2021 at 1:44 pm

You never fail to teach. Your videos always make me think. βœŒπŸ€ŸπŸ––

4. Douglas Greenberg on December 3, 2021 at 1:44 pm

Great tips. Of course, the reality for most of us who have limited time out in the field is that we usually have less ability to control issues like backgrounds than is ideal. Actually, as someone who came to wildlife photography from "birding," I don’t mind somewhat distracting backgrounds as much as most wildlife photographers. After all, bushes, branches, leaves, etc. ARE what we see when we view a bird or animal. I actually don’t care for the completely clean backgrounds that are the preference these days. It can look like the creature is posing in a studio or with a fake backdrop.

5. MarkNF1 on December 3, 2021 at 1:45 pm

A wonderful educational video with terrific examples. I really wonder what the two people who gave a thumbs down were thinking of.

6. Enrico Marconi on December 3, 2021 at 1:46 pm

Correction: not only Bravo but BRAVISSIMO!! (ISSIMO at the end of a word in Italian means the top of the crop!)

7. Paul Sahota on December 3, 2021 at 1:50 pm

Great as always. Thanks Steve!

8. David Monro-Jones on December 3, 2021 at 1:51 pm

Great video, as usual Steve. I learn lots each time. Thanks for the Black Friday deals too. Looking forward to learning more from your next videos.
    Take care and stay safe.

9. Hayden Nettleton on December 3, 2021 at 1:51 pm

The photo at 2.35 looks amazing. Such great color and contrast.

10. abhi Ph on December 3, 2021 at 1:53 pm

Awesome video Steve. I note down some key points that i found to be new to me and then practice it

One request make video about taking a particular type of shot like how you meter in low light to capture an animal

11. Patrick Matthews on December 3, 2021 at 1:54 pm

I am ngl your videos are the reason I can get the pictures I do

12. Broadway Recordings on December 3, 2021 at 1:55 pm

Step 1: Buy a $13,000 lens.

13. Bradley Winters on December 3, 2021 at 1:55 pm

Using a tripod to stay vigilant sounds good, but you also need to be at animal height. So any tips for being comfortable at the tripod at different heights? Like using a folding chair? Lying down can be okay but bugs, mud, etc.

14. Linda Karlin on December 3, 2021 at 1:56 pm

Excellent tips!!!! Thank you so much!!!!

15. Toneh 2.8 on December 3, 2021 at 1:56 pm

Another great video keep up the good work, I’ve learned a lot from you!!!

16. Enrico Marconi on December 3, 2021 at 1:56 pm

Steve, what can I say man, these are AMAZING SHOTS!! BRAVO!!

17. Eero on December 3, 2021 at 1:57 pm

The photos are excellent!

18. Paul Waites on December 3, 2021 at 1:57 pm

Fantastic tips

19. photoferretuk on December 3, 2021 at 1:57 pm

i’ll tell you why i like these tips vids from Steve – because his images are world class. there were some outstanding shots in this vid and i would love to just have 1 that good. So, if he says ‘do this’ then, do. Great work. Ta.

20. Botch on December 3, 2021 at 1:57 pm

I have a framed photo of a bird in my home that didn’t have a catchlight in its eye, and yeah it looked creepy. A bottle of WhiteOut and a toothpick fixed it right up!

21. Suriya Narayanan on December 3, 2021 at 1:58 pm

Such nice tips! Honestly, this is my favorite wildlife youtube channel after Mark Smith’s.

22. SundayRacers on December 3, 2021 at 1:59 pm

Great advice and absolutely world class images, Steve. Thank you for all that you do

23. Rayman on December 3, 2021 at 1:59 pm

Very informative guide, Steve, as always.

Excellent photographs all around. Your exposure, among other things is beautifully set.

I struggle with getting focus in BIF shots.
    Any tips you can dispense for this problem?

24. Alan Plummer Photography on December 3, 2021 at 2:00 pm

Great tips, Steve! Top one for me, #7′ You don’t need the whole animal … you aren’t writing field guides". Very helpful.

25. Public Toilet on December 3, 2021 at 2:00 pm

i learn a lot from your shot technique steve… subscriber here πŸ™‚

26. A. Kumar on December 3, 2021 at 2:01 pm

Great tips Steve…the photographers community has gained so much from you over the years ! Simply awe inspiring !!

27. JoΓ£o Romeiro Hermeto on December 3, 2021 at 2:06 pm

Exquisite photos! Your learning material is great! Thank Steve!

28. Sean Tomlinson on December 3, 2021 at 2:06 pm

Thanks Steve! Someday I’ll join you in Costa Rica.

29. RSC3516 on December 3, 2021 at 2:07 pm

Not just a great photographer, but just as good a teacher. Excellent video. Thank you.

30. Matthew Bell on December 3, 2021 at 2:07 pm

Great tips, no BS as ever that’s why Steve is one of the very best on YouTube πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§πŸ‡¬πŸ‡§

31. Jochen Keller on December 3, 2021 at 2:09 pm

Great advice as always, thanks Steve! I really love your images!

32. Subit Kobiraj on December 3, 2021 at 2:11 pm

Great tips. Thanks a lot.

33. Ryan Swindlehurst on December 3, 2021 at 2:11 pm

Do you ever do photo reviews? like if you looked on my site at some of my photos and critique them?

34. Asela Senanayake on December 3, 2021 at 2:12 pm

Thanks so much. Very interesting and useful video. Thanks very much.

35. R.K. Manandhar on December 3, 2021 at 2:15 pm

Thank you so much for Important tips as always. Greetings from NepalπŸ‡³πŸ‡΅

36. Robs Koi Pond on December 3, 2021 at 2:15 pm

All great tips. Thanks for posting.
    Watching this and wondering why Nikon didn’t send you you the Z9 to test. You of all people would be the one to know how good it really is is. I know I’m not the only one that kept coming to your channel waiting for it.

37. obone6025 on December 3, 2021 at 2:16 pm

As always, excellent Steve. My photography is much better because of your tips, ebooks, etc. One of these days I’m going to be part of a workshop. Happy holidays.

38. Mh_ Alhosni on December 3, 2021 at 2:17 pm

Reasons why I can’t be good at wildlife photography
    1. No gear, only a 15-45 mm kit lens
    2. Lives in urban, even the birds are hard to find
    3.No means of transportation
    Though I’m confident that one day I’ll be good as u when I depend on myself

39. Rita Singhania on December 3, 2021 at 2:19 pm

May I know your Instagram handle ,when to do hand held and when to do with tripod ,please guide πŸ™πŸ™

40. Whoanly9 on December 3, 2021 at 2:20 pm

Great video, love your photos!

41. jose2883 pv on December 3, 2021 at 2:21 pm

Very valuable tips, thanks Steve. You know what I’m been targeting past days? Cooper’s Hawk, migratory here in Costa Rica… discovering him/her by chance riding my bike… Do you have shoots of Coopers? Regards.

42. dance2jam on December 3, 2021 at 2:21 pm

Great tips and tricks (as always) Steve. It’s clear you’re back and focused!

43. brianminkc on December 3, 2021 at 2:23 pm

Do you have special insurance should you get eaten by the animals?

44. AP PHOTOGRAPHER on December 3, 2021 at 2:24 pm

Wonderful tips offered.. πŸ‘πŸ‘πŸ‘

45. Nigam Machchhar on December 3, 2021 at 2:26 pm

Great Tips Steve as always, I have a question, what should we do if we go on a safari trip? I never went so far but when I look on youtube people are on vehicles and it seems that there is not much chance for going to animal eye level like the example in Tanzania I saw people on a vehicle’s roof and I feel there is no chance to go down, any tip on those situations otherwise no point going on African Safari, right?

46. Martha Retallick on December 3, 2021 at 2:32 pm

Martha has a tip: Avoid excessive celebration. I just saw a Eurasian Collared Dove! I can add it to my bird list! WOO!

Bird flew to an obscured location before I could get the camera out.

47. Juanita Kelly on December 3, 2021 at 2:35 pm

Loved these tips and the examples were perfect and made each point easier to understand.

48. Skye PRF on December 3, 2021 at 2:38 pm

would like t ear your thoughts about deep of field vs managing the background VS focal length of the lens… (managing a 600 mm F4 is way different than a Canon 800MM F11 ! Great vide again!

49. Bell Family on December 3, 2021 at 2:40 pm

Here is a doctor and Master and photography. What a teacher men you explain the step so easy to understand!!!

50. Edward Kilner on December 3, 2021 at 2:40 pm

Excellent tips and accompanying example photos. Thank you.